Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Spring Panzanella


Asparagus, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
The Asparagus Pizzapalooza has required some behavior modification. I've been eating asparagus pizza for days now, breakfast, then cutting it up into bite-sized chunks and taking it with me for a quick and easy snack throughout the day and loveloveloving it, then doing the same thing for dinner. That pizza is like crack. When I'm not eating it I'm thinking about eating it. I tried to share it. Preparing the last pizza, I'd planned intended to give half of it away, making a certain friend very happy, but it didn't work out. I tried, I really did.
I'd bought 2 bunches of asparagus at May Wah and looking for alternative uses for the remaining bunch and a half, I came across this recipe at SK. I love these Italian salads with the toasty croutons.
This was my first venture into the world of white beans. I got some dry ones the other day at El Grande and tossed them in the slow cooker yesterday before left the house. I also tossed in some semi-fresh herbs that were teetering on being tossed in the trash. Thyme, rosemary and sage. I got home and the kitchen smelled amazing with herb.
From here it was just a quick stovetop simmering of leeks and asparagus, cut up and then tossed in with the toasty croutons and some vinaigrette.
This was dinner and it was lovely. I've been reading Melissa Clarks In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite and she's truly an inspiration. She's a beautiful writer and storyteller. She's got a recipe in there for Pan Roasted Asparagus that shall be made today.

No comments:

Post a Comment