Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Turkey Day Table


T-day, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
I love our colorful collage of a table. It pretty much represented the mish-mash of De-lish that was eagerly  and thankfully consumed before we moved it all into the living room to watch the Niners (wah!) game.
As has become tradition, Thanksgiving is celebrated at the little sister kitchen. Dede cooked the bird in the outdoor grill and it was phenomenal not only in its juicy-ness but that big bird was cooked in 2 1/2 hours.  I can't remember how big she said it was but it had to be close to 20 lbs.
Next up we got the smashed taters that were co-mingled with cauliflower and plenty o'butter.  The veggie palooza continues thusly:
It began in my ADD-led brain, trying to figure what I could shop, pre-cook, prep and then reasonably carry (along with an overnight bag) on the train. I had my head spinning. I just had to shut it all down and go have a margarita.  At the same time I'm OCD-ing on Plenty, my current library loaner cookery book (Brit-speak for cookbook) I wanted to make everything. I settled on two plus a Sweet Corn Soup from Ottolenghi's Guardian column, The New Vegetarian.
Sitting in between the taters and stuffing is the Spicy Sweet Butternut Squash with Yogurt Tahini, Limes, Jalepenos and Cilantro. I roasted the squash the day before and they were a little on the soft side in the reheat but man! they were tasty. The spice factor comes from cardamom.
My next Plenty platter was the Bean Salad, a mixture of green beans, snow peas and frozen peas tossed together with jalepenos and scallions then lightly dressed in olive oil infused with garlic, crushed coriander seeds and mustard seeds, finished off with salt and pepper then lime juice.
My veggie trio concluded with the most awesome Whiskey Glazed Carrots from my newest, favoritest, cooking cowgirl, Ree, at pioneerwoman.com . Can't give the Brits all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment