Thursday, November 17, 2011

Surprise Tartin


Surprise Tartin, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
Surprise! This tastes waaaaaay better than it looks. I was photographically challenged. This comes from Ottolenghi's Plenty, my current library possession and cookery project.
The beautifully lit, styled and photographed tart that was in the book got me all  churned up and the only thing missing from the little kitchen were potatoes. I already had a jar of sloooow roasted tomatoes waiting for a new purpose. Cool, so off to the store for potatoes and 15 minutes later I'm preparing this.
This tartin is full of surprises. It's a savory potato pie with roasted tomatoes, sauteed onions, fresh oregano, goat cheese and puff pastry. First surprise-caramel. A thin layer coats the bottom of the cake pan before you start laying down the cut potatoes. I need some more practice with caramel. Surprise!  burnt lip wilst trying to taste whether it was burnt or not. The smell should'a tipped me off. Molten lava. Don't do that. The cooked potatoes drink up the caramel which enhances the overall sweetness of the caramelized tomatoes and onions. The goat cheese and puff pastry finish...perfection! The next surprise is in the reveal. This is one of those flip-overs as you're building it from top to bottom. This wasn't as purdy as Ottolengi's but dang! 
The best surprise is how good this is. I made this for lunch. It was gone before bedtime. Ate the whole thang. No surprise.




No comments:

Post a Comment