Monday, August 1, 2011

Rotten Peaches...


Peach Shortbread, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
...never tasted so good. This was one of the first recipes I made last year in my pursuit of a fruitier and veggier kitchen. I was all about peaches when I first discovered this recipe for Peach Shortbread on Smitten Kitchen. It was also my introduction to browned butter, the process by which you melt butter and slowly cook it until the solids separate and toast to a nutty brown. It adds another dimension to the perfection of butter...and yes if you didn't think butter could get any better, try browning it. All this butter effort was probably too good for those rotten peaches.
I'm embarrassed to admit how many peaches I've tossed in the last few months. I buy with the best of intentions, only to let them sit all pretty in a painted ceramic bowl until they become consumed in a murky puddle. I really hate when that happens. The other day I  come home from work and I'm greeted by a bowl of rotting peaches.  Ok. Enough is enough. Perhaps a crisp? a tart? I've been wanting to do a free form tart yet the shortbread started dancing around in my head and before I knew it I was browning butter. After babysitting it over the stove for 20 minutes, it needs time to cool and solidify. This wasn't going to happen quickly, even in the freezer. It wasn't until I started thinking about the whole grain flours hanging out in the fridge that I started to feel inspired and decided on trying kamut flour in the shortbread to replace half of the all purpose flour. I'd made cookies from Good To The Grain with kamut flour awhile back so it seemed like a good fit. It was. Even at 1 a.m. when I finally got to eat the spoils of my rotten peaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment