Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Foccacia with Caramelized Onions

This will be the start of something very special. I broke my pizza stone a couple of weeks ago and it made me very sad. I tried making pizza on a cookie sheet, a perfectly acceptable approach not so long ago, and it truly broke my heart, the crust was so soft and floppy. I cut it into bite sized squares and choked it down. Truth be told it tasted fine but that damn crust just made me so sad. Until I can finagle a new pizza stone onto the back of my bike I'll let my creative juices flow.
The foccacia base is perfect! It's lovely on its own but seeing as I can never leave well enough alone, I concocted a different pizza on each slab. I started with the shaved asparagus, mozzarella and parmesan. Then I did a white pizza with mushrooms and broccoli, and finally a tomato and basil pizza with goat cheese. That was gorgeous and way de-lish.
The inspiration came from an attempt to come up with transportable food. There are a lot of birthdays in June and July so I've been trying to come up with foodie gifts. One of my friends doesn't do sweets so I came up with the pizza pack for him. I have a feeling that the white pizza might not have been the best idea. I didn't think about the crust getting soggy. Oooops!

No comments:

Post a Comment