Monday, April 25, 2011

New Favorite Bean Dip

A while back when I had Super Natural Cooking in my hot little hands (via SFPL) I bought white beans for the first time, to prepare what I think was a toasted white bean salad of some kind. It was good. Then the remaining beans got pushed to the back of the pantry. Heidi's photograph of this White Bean Spread is mouth watering, so when I saw it, I immediately remembered forgotten beans and foraged for the little jar. I have to say that I'm very pleased that the Little Kitchen pantry is becoming more and more well stocked as I had everything on hand to prepare this.
My go-to method of preparing any cooked bean requires just a little fore-thought and a slow cooker. Just before bedtime I rinse a cup of whatever bean, boil up some water in a kettle, dump 4 tablespoons of vegetarian chicken seasoning (purchased in bulk at Whole Foods or Rainbow) into my 4 cup pyrex, dissolve and dump everything into the slow cooker and I awake to cooking smells in my kitchen. Cooked beans go into the fridge until I get home.
This spread could not be easier and it tastes like heaven. Simply puree the beans with toasted almonds, rosemary & garlic infused olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and a little hot water. Transfer into a serving dish and top with reserved almonds, olive oil & lemon zest. Done!
Heidi suggests serving this with pita chips. Didn't have any, but did have some old won ton wrappers somewhere in the back of the fridge. Toasted them up and voila! This was my dinner last night.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment