Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Back to Basics


Oatmeal, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
Yesterday I fell off the wagon. It's been over two years since I've purchased a new cookbook. The library and the internet were perfectly suitable for providing me with my recipe fix. I vowed to chisel down my cookbook library and actually start cooking from them. I vowed to pick my library book of the month and cook at least six recipes from chosen book before returning it. I figured this was a reasonable task.
I wandered into Books, Inc. yesterday and it was like some crazy magnet pulling me toward the cookbook display and there was Heidi Swansons gorgeous new book Super Natural Everyday. Well once I opened it up I couldn't let it go.
Not only did I break my cookbook vow, this is the first time in probably 10 years that I've paid full retail.
Only Heidi has managed to make oatmeal alluring. I've had a jar of steel cut oats lurking about the back of the pantry for about six months.  I'm taking a little break from polenta. Hmmmn...I wonder if that's what's causing my current state of restlessness and general foul-moodie-ness. Polenta has been like crack to me.
Anyhoo I cooked up an absurd amount of steel cut oats. It took a lot longer than anticipated. It was on the stove for an hour, so I ended up reheating pizza for breakfast and what ended up being an awesome oatmeal for dinner...dressed up with greek yogurt, toasted almonds, dried fruit and agave nectar.

No comments:

Post a Comment