Monday, January 3, 2011

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme...


Vegetable stock!, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
...and a whole lotta veg. My very first time attempting to make my own vegetable stock. 18 cups of stock made tonite. 4 1/2 quarts. About $12 spent on vegetables and about $6 worth of wine (that was just bad planning since I'd forgotten to pick up wine earlier I had to go to the pricey market on the corner). So that's $1 a cup. $4 a quart. I'll bet it beats the $2 a quart stuff you get from Trader Joes or the powdered stuff I usually use. Now the trick is to use it. That'll be about 3 batches of soup. So now I gotta get the storage part right. To freeze it in 6 cup batches. Now I gotta find some new soup recipes to test drive this stuff.
So into the first week of the new year and lordy what an ordeal. I mean this is work. I spent last night roasting up the vegetables that took a couple of hours getting it all chopped up and roasted in two tedious batches. Then tonight cooking up the soup. I may have gotten a little heavy handed in the sachet of aromatics. I just used up the remainder of my old sage, thyme and rosemary. It's a little sagey but good. But next time I've got to plan better. Pots and more pots, collanders and cheesecloth and straining...then what to put it all in. The house here doesn't have much in the way of storage containers or fridge space and freezer? Fuhgedabouddit!
I'm gettin' my veggie game on to start the new year off on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment