Tuesday, January 10, 2012

'Nini 'Rito


Sausage & Black Bean Burrito, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
I love my neighborhood coffee house for so many reasons but their panini grilled breakfast burrito changed by life.
The breakfast burritos were a hard sell when the cafe first got them in but once they caught on, they became all the rage, so I had to see what all the fuss was about. They weren't bad...quite tasty in fact. Very simply: black beans, salsa, cheese and eggs. It was the grilled finish and the angled cut that got me all churned up. I loved the crispy, sandwich-y prettiness of the whole presentation. It was the first time I ate, analyzed, anticipated and acted so quickly.
Over these many months, my version of the panini grilled burrito has evolved from it's Simple Pleasures beginning and now changes to accomodate whatever the pantry has to offer and what needs rescue from the refrigerator. This version started with a Spanish rice pilaf made with Trader Joes brown rice medley. I had some spicy sausage in the freezer that I browned up with some caramelized onions and then added a can of black beans and some frozen corn. I ended up with enough filling to make 4 hefty burritos. By the time I made the last one yesterday morning, I'd run out of pepper jack cheese and had to improvise with the last bit of some blue cheese, mozzarella and parmesan. A revelation. In a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment