Wednesday, January 11, 2012

the last butternut squash


the last butternut squash, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
The holidays are over and so is my butternut squash. Just before Thanksgiving I was given a big box of butternut squash. Six to be exact. Big ones. I was a little overwhelmed, yet fueled with anticipation, wondering just how much butternut squash soup I could eat and how much time I could waste doing recipe searches...turns out, a lot and a lot.
It now seems hard to believe that until about a year ago, I had never purchased, prepared or knowingly eaten squash...well pumpkin, for cheesecake, but I bought that in a can. I hated squash. Any and all forms of squash were looked upon with an across-the-board "blech!" That was then.
This is now. With the exception of an exceptional recipe from Ottolenghi's Plenty for a spicy roasted squash with tahini, lime and cilantro, that I made for Thanksgiving, my two most favorite endings to squash is soup and chicken pot pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment