Friday, January 27, 2012

Salsa Chicken Enchiladas


Salsa Chicken Enchiladas, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
One might think that after 10 years working in a mexican restaurant...and then suddenly...not, I might be over mexican food, perhaps even a little bitter about it. I'm not. I've always loved it and always will.
What I have recently gotten into is roasting chickens. I roast a chicken almost once a week. Porque? you may ask, though anyone who's done it knows that the humble chicken just keeps on giving.
I decided to venture off the usual chicken pot pie this time whilst pondering the future of my tupperware container of shredded dark meat. I'm a white meat gal. I just can't knaw into a thigh and leg, there are too many weird things in there, best it goes into stock. I shred off what meat I can identify and put it to a greater purpose. Chicken pot pies never fail me, I decided that my goal this time was to do something that involved the tortilla, designated by my Fresh and Easy clearance purchases the other day.
What I ended up with was a salsa chicken that could go into a quesadilla, enchilada, taco or omelette. The thing that made this salsa chicken stand out was toasting whole cumin and coriander seeds, then crushing them with a mortar with pestle. It gets added to the garlic, shallots and re-hydrated ancho chiles sauteing in olive oil. Then I added caramelized onions and roasted peppers before adding a can of crushed tomatoes. Add the chicken, bring it all to a simmer and then salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle in some chopped cilantro (I use the leaves and the stems which have a lot of great flavor) and done.
Muy bueno.

No comments:

Post a Comment