Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Crusty and Creamy White Beans


Crust & Creamy White Beans, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
oooh! From Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson, the genius behind 101cookbooks. I had a bunch of white beans and earmarked this recipe weeks ago. The cooked beans are sauteed in clarified butter.
I've learned that clarifying butter (cooking it to the foaming point, skimming off the foam, then pouring off the clear butter from the milk fat solids) gives you cooking butter that heats to a higher temperture and doesn't burn. It's the consistency of oil. It seemed a bit wasteful at first but it's cheap Smart and Final butter and a new technique learned. Heidi's recipes call for clarified butter frequently so this will get used.
I cooked the beans in the slow cooker (with chicken flavored broth & fresh herbs) and they were a bit mushy when I got back to them but the dish ended up tasting lovely. Her recipe calls for chard but I just used up the rest of my spinach. Good Eats today. I've missed my kitchen.
I also did a little shopping with the next project in mind: Roast Chicken. America's Test Kitchen's got me on a tear. I bought a 6 Quart cambro type plastic container so I can brine it.
The idea is to make Chicken Pot Pie and Chicken Stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment