Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie!


Chicken Pot Pie!, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
Another little kitchen triumph! A couple of weeks ago, the Sunday food section of the San Francisco Chronicle presented Pot Pies with Panache. All the recipes looked delicious, even the seafood one with it's flaky layers of crust. The Roasted Vegetable Pot Pie had an herb biscuit crust, what looked to be a blob of biscuit on top a bowl of roasted vegetables. That's where I started.
Then I consulted my Smitten Kitchen and essential went about concocting my own hybrid of the two.
So...I've got all these chicken pieces left over. Thighs and wings and such. I scrape off all the meat and set it aside. Bones and carcass go into a plastic freezer bag and into the freezer.
I roast some carrots and potatoes...diced up and tossed around in some olive oil with fresh thyme, sage & parsley, salt & pepper and 3 cloves of garlic...into the oven. While that's in the oven I take some frozen corn outta the freezer, rinse it in warm water then dry if off with a clean kitchen towel, then toss the corn into a dry non-stick pan. Toast that up then saute a whole diced white onion.  I still had a lot of sauteed mushrooms left from the night before so I cut those up into smaller chunks and throw them into the skillet. then in goes the diced chicken. Now maybe this is weird, because I'd used red wine and beef stock in preparing the 'shrooms the night before, I added the remains of the carton of beef stock and more red wine. Yeah I know....I'm thinking to myself "you're adding chicken to beef stock and red wine! That's just wrong. Isn't it". Well perhaps, but dammnnnnnnnnnn!.....this turned out good. And there really are no rules when it comes to leftovers.  After I added the stock, red wine, the roasted veg, the mushroom stuff, I had a pretty good thing happening I added a butter flour paste ummn roux, to thicken it and some heavy cream. I divided the filling into two casserole dishes. Mixed up the biscuit dough and used my scoop to drop biscuit on top and popped them in a 400 degree oven until the biscuits were browning and the filling started to bubble out, about 20-30 minutes.
This turned out fantastic. The only thing was the biscuit in the center wasn't completely cooked so I put it back in for another 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment