Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Red & Gold Sunday


Red & Gold Sunday, originally uploaded by michele wynne.
This will be a very creative year as the little kitchen cooks up all manner of creative energy.
I had the very rare Sunday off this week. A year ago I would have been searching out the best bar to perch myself for watching the NFL Playoffs...even at 10am. 49er Faithful here.
Things are a little different this year. This gorgeous day started off with a leisurely morning at Simple Pleasures sippin' on my pint of java and doodling in my new sketchbook (I can't tell you how happy that makes me).
At 10 am I headed home, turned on the TV, eversograteful that the gods of the airwaves let me tune into channel 2 today. I then proceeded to make myself the BEST omelette using leftover hotdogs. Yes. I made hotdogs for dinner on Saturday night-one of my customers had purchased hotdog fixin's for his Friday night dinner and for about 24 hours I could not stop thinking about hotdogs. I had to give in, especially when I honed in on the Acme hotdog buns free for the taking in the break room.
Anyhoo, breakfast made, Niners on the screen, sewing machine set up, I started cutting up fabric pieces for aprons. It wasn't until the second half of the game and I had the two spools of thread sitting there next to each other that without any thought to it, I was deep into my Niners red & gold.
Sewing in the sun, watching my Niners moving into the Championships and then finishing the day with a new episode of Downton Abbey...well, it was a great day. Oh, and I made pizza for dinner.


The Hot Dog Omelette:
I made the whole deal in an 8-inch omelette pan using 4 regular sized hot dogs. The finished mix was good for two big omelettes.

caramelize 2 onions 
add 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
and one thinly sliced green pepper
red pepper flakes 
cumin
hotdogs sliced on the diagonal into about 1/4- 1/2 thick slices, working the slices to the bottom of the pan to brown
add 2 or 3 chopped tomatoes
Cover the pan and let the tomatoes release some water. Remove the lid and let some of the moisture cook off.
You can go two ways here. You can keep the mix wet and then spread it across your cooked eggs or you can cook off most of the moisture and then pour the egg mix over the filling. I did it the first way. If you go the second way,  remove all but 1 cup of the filling from the pan, spread it out and pour in your eggs. I'd say the ratio is one cup filling to 3 eggs.




No comments:

Post a Comment