Friday, August 23, 2013

The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I'm obsessed. I know it, but nothing makes me happier than the grilled cheese sandwich. Just thinking about it makes me all twitchy, especially when I know I've got all the goods in the little kitchen to get this going.  I really wanna go home and make this right now. So I'll make this quick.
After much R & D, I've come to the conclusion that I really like blue cheese in my UGCS along with a Gruyere. I bought a buttermilk blue cheese at work a couple of weeks ago that had just enough bite, it was juuuust right. Because it's not enough for me to dive into the blue cheese, I also love Dijon mustard on my UGCS.
 
So it goes like this:
1. turn on the broiler.
2. Pull out a skillet
3. Butter 2 slices of bread
4. grate and/or crumble your cheese(s)
5. Pull out that jar of caramelized onions you keep on hand-you do that right? nuke a pile of it.
6. Heat up the skillet and lay in the bread, butter side down and pile the cheeses on each half.
7. When the bread is all golden toasty, transfer the cheese covered slices onto an oven-broiler proof pan and place it under the broiler until the cheese is all melty and slightly browned on top. This only takes a minute or two.
8. If you have any sliced lunch meat or leftover grilled chicken or bacon, dump it in the still hot skillet and heat it up
9. When your cheese is melted and maybe even a little browned on top, remove it from the oven, place your sandwich halves on a cutting board and lay some onions on one half, meat on the other half and swipe some Dijon across your meat side and close the book on your sandwich. Slice in half and admire the layers for a second and dig in.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment