Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ottolenghi's Green Pancakes...


Ottolenghi's Green Pancakes, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
 
This recipe has been on my To Do list for well over a year now when I got my mitts on Plenty, a brilliant collection of vegetarian cookery by London restauranteur Yotam Ottolenghi.




 I've made several recipes from it and each time I'm delighted by the results. It has inspired me to experiment with vegetables I've previously ignored. The photography is gorgeous and that's what draws you in intitially. Then upon reading the recipe one can only be intrigued and inspired by what appears to be an unusual combination of ingredients, wondering how it can possibly work.

I was introduced into the world of Ottolenghi by Smitten Kitchen (surprised?) when I read her post on Cauliflower Parmesan Cake what seems like forever ago. Her post was inspiring and the photos, of course, were lovely. Not a fan of cauliflower then, I challenged my aversion and was completely converted. The original recipe, Cauliflower Cake doesn't sound all that appealing, but trusting my source, I made the leap and I've been cooking from this book like mad thing ever since.
 



 But I digress, Green Pancakes with Cilantro Lime Butter are savory pancakes full of spinach, jalepenos and scallions. It's amazing how light and fluffy they turned out-thanks to a combination of self-rising flour, baking powder and the last minute folding in of a wildly beaten egg white. The traditional pancake batter swaps out sugar for cumin.

The short stacks of pancakes are topped off by the wonderful compound butter, flavored with both the zest and the juice of a lime, chopped cilantro, garlic and chili flakes.
Of course these are best when consumed immediately, but they actually re-heat well. I brought them to work the next day for lunch. Office mates were green with envy.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment