Sunday, March 24, 2013

curry chicken wrap on a Sunday morning


curry chicken wrap, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
Lazy Sunday morning. Those are words that have been a strange concept most of my working life. Between toiling away in theaters or restaurants, Sunday is a work day. These days, I work a business work week and I could get very used to this.
I'm having a little "Stay-cation" whilst house-sitting for some friends a few blocks from the little kitchen. This is the view from the kitchen window today while I enjoy the Sunday paper and my curry chicken wrap:
 
That's the Golden Gate Bridge there waaaaaay out there-thanks cheezy wide-angle cell phone cam-it's closer than it looks.
Anyhoooooo....this wrap is what became of the shredded chicken meat from my previously roasted chicken.
The idea for this came from my friend Rick who made this for me for lunch last week. It's just plain weird that it's never ever occurred to me to make a curry chicken salad until now, considering that I've been somewhat preoccupied with curries of late and clearly, my fixation with chicken is almost on the verge of requiring intervention.
 I asked him what he put in it and this is my riff on it:
 
Curry Chicken Wrap.
 
1/4 cup mayonaise
1/4 cup greek yogurt
2 teaspoons curry
1/2 cup mango chutney (I used Major Grey's----it's gooood)
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon minced cilantro
 
1 lb cooked chicken
 
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/4 cup finely sliced scallions
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
 
flour tortillas or lavash
 
 Wisk all the wet ingredients together in a large bowl (I like to use my big aluminum salad tossing bowl) with the spices and herbs and let it sit aside for a while to let the flavors meld  a bit while you cut up the veg.
Cut up your cooked chicken into a small dice and toss it into the  bowl.
Add scallions, carrots, celery, raisins and almonds. Stir everything together.
If using a large flour tortilla, I'll just wrap it all up like a burrito, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and chill for a half hour or 3 days. I love to make a batch of these for my work lunches.
When I use lavash I'll spread the mixture over 3/4 of the lavash, going almost to the side edge.  Get a little of the mayo mix spread along that empty edge to get a little stickage, then roll it up and tightly wrap it with plastic and chill. When you're ready to serve or eat it, slice it into pinwheels for little elegance and office envy.


No comments:

Post a Comment