Sunday, August 12, 2012

refrigerator rescue~fried rice


fried rice, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
This is the most wonderful way to use up all kinds of vegetables and meats teetering on the edge of the trash can.
I made this when I was house sitting a couple of weeks ago. My friends had left me with two roasted chicken thighs and about 3/4 of a cooked bone-in ham. I can't say that I'm a ham fan...all that fat. While I was pondering what to do with all that meat, I made up a big pot of rice medley to go with all the corn chowder I brought home from work.
The next day I came up with this as I contemplated an enormous skillet and the behemouth firehouse stove. I sauteed up some onions, garlic and celery, then tossed in some left-over, chopped up, green beans.  I tossed in the shredded chicken and diced ham and cooked that until crispy. I added the cooked rice along with some dried herbs: tarragon and oregano, then tossed that around until everything was hot. I made a well in the middle of the pan and mixed in 3 eggs into which I'd stirred in some fresh thyme and ground black pepper. Once the eggs start to set, then I mixed it all into the rice with a good splash of soy sauce. I turned off the heat and added some slivered scallions.
This was lunch and breakfast for the next two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment