Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bagel Bombs!


Bagel Bombs!, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
I wish I could have gotten a better picture of these, but night time photography in the little kitchen is a bit problematic since I only have my cell phone cam, but this was one of those recipes that from the moment it appeared on my facebook page by way of amateurgourmet.com yesterday morning, it was all I could think about. These are just getting ready to go into the oven.
I stopped off at my favorite natural foods co-op to replenish and stock the required seasonings after work yesterday and pedaled on home as fast as I could, to get this all going. It starts with mixing up a scallion cream cheese and freezing small lumps. I used a small ice cream/portion scoop and set them to freeze on baking sheet lined with parchment paper last night.
 This morning I made the dough and let it rise all day whilst I went about my business. The recipe requires an hour of rising time, but I tend to play a little fast and loose with yeasty doughs given my work schedule. I also don't have a fancy Kitchen Aid mixer so kneading tends to get a bit tedious...until I discovered the no-knead dough. The no-knead method lets time do the work. When I got home the dough had more than doubled and was really puffy by the time I got to finishing it. I don't know if it would have been better had I stuck to the rules but no matter...they were sooooo freakin' good I couldn't wait to get this into the archives, crappy photo and all, but if you go into the link above, Adam at AG has the perfect step-by-step post. These little bagel bombs filled with scallion cream cheese are seriously brilliant! Even more brilliant is that they can be frozen (pre-baking) and then it's only 30 minutes from freezer, providing you've remembered to  pre-heat your oven amidst all the anticipation, to stuffing these into your gob.

No comments:

Post a Comment