Friday, October 12, 2012

evolution carrot salad


evolution carrot salad, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
This came about during a late afternoon attack on my "Recipes to Make" binder. I've had this one buried for a while, photo-copied a year or so ago, from a library lend of "Jamie's Food Revolution".
This was another recipe thatcamethisclose to being tossed. I like carrots okay...usually as more of a supporting role in a dish...and as I perused the character-less black and white, low-quality copy, I was just not seeing it's appeal, until I realized: wasn't there an almost full bag of carrots sprouting in the bottom of the vegetable bin last time I looked? as well as a half-empty bag of clearance cabbage, and I seem to recall buying mint and cilantro for something I didn't make. So that's how this evolved.
Jamie Oliver calls it an Evolution Salad because it's fine in a very simple state but evolves by the addition of say...nuts, cheese or fruit.
Can I just say how much I adore Jamie Oliver?
My access to food television is pretty much non-existent so my familiarity with Jamie Oliver was "...is that the Naked Chef guy?", until last year when I picked up "Oliver's Twist" from the library. I was an instant fan. Could he be any cuter? Of course I totally dig the British accent and goofy lingo not to mention his excitement and passion. He tears through a recipe like he's just run off the soccer field, dashed by his apartment for a quick knosh and he's back out the door to meet up with his mates at the pub. Quick and casual. Simple and affordable. Engaging and charming. He's got it all. Goofy footballer and marketing genius-gazillionare.
 
So, this carrot salad was amazingly tasty and came together in minutes.
 
Evolution Carrot Salad
slightly adapted from Jamie Oliver

5 medium carrots peeled and shredded
8 oz. shredded red cabbage
chopped mint
chopped cilantro


6 T. olive oil
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. dijon mustard
1 t. balsamic vinegar
2 t. agave nectar
crumbled blue cheese
salt
pepper

Combine all of the vegetables and herbs in a bowl. In jar with a tight fitting lid (I save jam jars for this), combine all of the dressing ingredients and shake it like crazy until everything is emulsified (smooth & creamy). Pour it over the carrot mix and toss.
 
It wasn't until after I made this that I realized why I had copied the recipe to begin with. It's really pretty in color. I'm inspired again to revisit Jamie's Food Revolution because I do love pretty pictures, simple, amusing instructions and really really good food.





No comments:

Post a Comment