Friday, July 20, 2012

Sables


Sables, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
I'm hanging out in an alternate kitchen this week while I cat & house-sit. It's delightful jenga of premium cookware which includes a Kitchen Aid standing mixer, a fixture the little kitchen is sadly lacking.
The second night I was here, I was just chilling out on the sofa, sipping a glass of wine, OCDing on marathon episodes of "No Reservations" on the big flat screen and simultaneously flipping though a stack of Cooks Illustrated back-issues, I suddenly got the urge for something sweet. It only took me a whole 5 minutes to land on  Sables.
With the most basic of staples, I fired up the behemouth of an old firehouse stove and started creaming butter.
The recipe comes from the brilliant Dorie Greenspan, master of the World Peace Cookies I raved on about a while back and these couldn't be easier. Best. Cookies. Ever.

p.s. I made the second batch a couple of days later. In spite of what I thought to be the most horrendous blunder (I'd forgotten the egg yolks!), they turned out brilliant anyway.

p.p.s. 3rd batch of dough is chilling now...maybe it's a good thing I don't have a Kitchen Aid after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment