Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Foccacia pizza


Foccacia pizza, originally uploaded by riptideredsf.
I've been getting more experimental in the little kitchen lately. It's a pretty cheap form of entertainment too.
I was cruising by the clearance shelf at Fresh and Easy the other day and spied a couple of packages of foccacia dough. Having had a success with it in a foccacia throwdown a few weeks back, I couldn't help but wonder "how awesome could a pizza be made with this and those little bits of rosemary baked right into the crust?"
Uhmmm no....problem was, that the foccacia dough doesn't move onto the pizza stone like regular pizza dough , in fact it doesn't move on at all, so I had to bake it on the cookie sheet which doesn't crisp up as well. Tasted great but the crust was too doughy. Live and learn.
 My go-to pizza starts with this really simple pizza dough from Smitten Kitchen. While it's rising I heat up my pizza stone in a 500 degree oven.
I roll the pizza dough out on a well floured board then move it onto a rimless cookie sheet generously sprinkled with corn meal. This makes it easier to slide onto the hot baking stone. Before moving it onto the hot stone, I start with a generous smear of this super simple and crazy good tomato sauce from 101 Cookbooks, about 3/4 of a cup of caramelized onions (I cook these up by the pint, 6-7 onions), a 1/2 cup of fresh parmesan, 1 1/2 cups of coarsly grated  mozzarella and my new favorite thing, any one of the flavored sausages from Fresh and Easy, meat removed from the casing of two sausages and browned in a skillet on the stove top before sprinkling it on the pizza.
10 minutes in the oven and I'm in pizza nirvana for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment