Monday, September 5, 2011

Zucchini Fritters with Magic Sauce

The bad news is the bad picture. Night time photography in the little kitchen never goes well. Armed with a low budget cell phone cam and a little help from flickr, my pics are pretty simple. There's no fancy lighting equipment to produce decent pictures at night when the whirlwind of creativity in the little kitchen generally finds its groove. The pics and styling usually happen in the morning when the light in my kitchen is at it's optimal alignment.
The good news is that these two recipes were soooooo good that nothing made it to the next morning to be primped an styled.
The first to arrive in my inbox came from Smitten Kitchen. Zucchini Fritters (go to smittenkitchen.com and get this recipe NOW! it's awesome). I am happy to declare that I am no longer on the fence about zucchini. I was also excited enough by it to go out and buy a cast iron skillet today ( a $5 flea market find, truth be told). but I'm getting ahead of myself as it's been  week since I made these for the first time.
Immediately upon reading the post, I dashed on over to my neighborhood produce market and bought up a bunch of zucchini. Within a day or so Heidi Swanson at 101cookbooks posted a recipe for what she calls Magic Sauce. It's a garlic, fresh herb(rosemary, thyme, oregano), pepper flake and sweet paprika infused olive oil that is seriously outta this world. It's similar to a chimichurri sauce...but different.
I've made this Magic Sauce three times in the last two weeks, doubling the recipe the 2nd and 3rd times. I've used it to brush onto corn tortillas for my breakfast tacodillas, on my turkey BLT's from Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook, I mixed it into scrambled eggs and diced up turkey bacon for my black bean quesadillas, I've brushed it on the tomatoes getting ready for the slow roast and next on the to do list is to toss it into some pasta.
Together these things are magic. I love it when I can marry my two favorite foodie blogs and come up with something spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment